Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Soup Night

Tonight is soup night at the Hamlet. If I had to choose one category of food to have exclusively for the rest of my life, it would have to be soup. I wear my family out in the fall and winter with soup. I could eat it every day. I even like the canned stuff, right out of the can!! I like to make it early in the day, so that the flavors can marry, but let's face it...that doesn't always happen! So, sometimes I make it and let it cook in the crockpot, and sometimes I make it just before we eat.

My favorite is my chicken soup with chicken pieces, carrots, green beans and mushrooms. Tonight, however, it's homemade chicken noodle. Even the pickiest kid in the world, Benjie, will eat it. It's even better than the school's chicken noodle, according the the boys. High praise, indeed!

So, here's the easy peasy recipe! You should adjust amounts and seasonings to suit your needs. This is how I make it for us.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

2 pounds chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts
1 quart chicken broth
water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 pound box noodles-egg noodles or spaghetti or any other kind of noodle you have

Put the chicken and the broth in the crockpot and let it simmer all day. Add water if necessary to make a full pot. When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, take it out and let it cool until you can handle it. Use two forks or your fingers and shred the chicken. Pour the liquid into a pot on the stove and add water if necessary to make the amount of soup you need. Bring the water to a boil, then add the butter and stir. Put the noodles in the boiling water. Stir in the shredded chicken and let it simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer until the table is set and the tea is poured into glasses, then call everyone to eat. Have some crackers or homemade bread to serve with it.

You can add celery and carrots at the beginning, while the chicken is cooking, if you want. Benjie won't eat it if it has anything weird in it, and apparently celery and carrots are weird.

Hope you enjoy your soup. I know I will!!

3 comments:

Becki said...

Yep, celery and carrots are weird. I just made a big pot of vegetable beef soup and corn bread for our lunch on this very cold day. Jack declared that "Bob-be's (Doug's mom) soup is better. Mine had vegetables in it." She mashes Jack's all up for him so that he doesn't see the vegetables. I'm actually very picky too. So, I can't say too much!

bj said...

Ummmm, UM! That soup sounds delicious!
Thanks for stopping by my place today. Pls. come back soon.
OH, and I wanted to say I love your kitchen curtains...I am a hugh fan of black and white toile!
hugs, bj

Laura Lee said...

How fun! A blog dedicated to food and parties.

I'm all about some good food, so post those recipes, ya' hear?