Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

As promised, here's the recipe for Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding. I love bread pudding more than any other dessert, I do believe. It's so soothing, so homey tasting. For Christmas Eve dinner, I made bread pudding from left over donuts (I had to hide them to even HAVE any leftover donuts) and eggnog...then made a rum hard sauce to serve on top. OH, MY, GOODNESS. It was fabulous!

This is part of our Miller Lodge Breakfast for February's family breakfast. You know me and my themes! I will share more of the menu tomorrow!

Cathy's Bread Pudding-basic recipe

1 loaf day old French bread or 8 slices of bread, cubed and left out to dry for about an hour
1/2 cup sugar
4 beaten eggs
4 cups milk, cream or half and half (or a combination)
1 stick melted butter
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Put the bread cubes into a buttered or sprayed large casserole dish or a 13x9x2 baking pan. Mix together the sugar, eggs, milk and butter and spices, pour over bread. Let it set for about 30 minutes. Place the baking pan into a larger baking pan, and carefully pour hot water in the larger pan, until the water reaches about half way up the sides of the smaller pan. Put in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

I serve mine with whipped cream or a sauce of melted butter, powdered sugar and a little rum or rum extract, all whisked together and poured over the pudding while it's hot. Oh, so good!!

Variations:
*Use cinnamon rolls instead of most or all of the bread.
*Use flavored liquid coffee creamer in place of the about half of the milk. Hazelnut is yummy, and so is caramel vanilla.
*Use eggnog instead of about half the milk, and replace the cloves with nutmeg.
*Use croissants or donuts instead of most or all of the bread
*You could add any dried fruit you like-apricots, raisins, cranberries would all be good.

I hope you enjoy one or all of these! Think about me when you eat it!

Tomorrow, in addition to the breakfast menu, I'll share a week of menus!

No comments: