Friday, February 15, 2008

OH, MY!

If you haven't tried the homemade Oreos, yet-you need to! They are so good! The cookie part does taste just like an oreo, even before it's baked!! The cream filling, not so much, but boy is it good anyway!! Here's some things I learned while making them yesterday afternoon:

*If you don't have a stand mixer (I don't), don't try to use a hand mixer. I almost burned up mine because the dough is so thick. I finally used a meat fork and got it mostly combined, then used my hands to mush it all together, kind of like you do meatloaf. Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) says clean hands are your best cooking tool anyway!

*I used dark chocolate fudge cake mix instead of devil's food and it worked fine

*It makes a lot, and they are rich, so they go a long way.

*They are totally worth the effort!

I should have mentioned in the original post the source for this recipe. My apologies to Melis for not giving credit where credit is due.

If I can get my camera to work (it's being crazy, for some reason) I'll post pictures of both the oreos and breakfast tomorrow. If not...well...we'll see.

My plan is to decorate my table in a lodge style, using a black and red plaid blanket I snitched from Jacob's bed and my Smokey Mountain Lodge piece from my Dept 56 Snow Village. Again, we'll see!

Hope you have a great day!

Later!
Cathy

No comments: