Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Homemade Oreos

I haven't actually made these yet, but I plan to tomorrow. I figure, even if they don't taste JUST like oreos, with dark chocolate and cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter, how can you miss, right? If you try them before me, let me know how they are!

HOMEMADE OREOS

2 Devil's Food cake mixes
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. shortening
Mix cake mixes, eggs, shortening. Roll in prune-size balls. Bake at 350 degrees on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet.

FILLING:
8 oz. cream cheese
3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter

Mix filling - put between 2 cooled cookies. Makes about 5 dozen.

They sound like a perfect Valentine's Day treat, don't they? Plus, non of that awful rolling out stuff. I hate that.

I'm excited about the Lodge breakfast. I'm making my grocery list today so that I can pick up the things I need for it when I buy groceries Friday.

My brother Michael bought a houseboat last spring. It's been on a lake in Louisana until last week, when he brought it home. Michael has big plans for it-he's basically going to gut it and redo it. I'm sure it will be fabulous. Better start thinking about a nautical menu or two to get everyone in the mood...hmmm...now what do you serve on a boat besides fish?

Anchors away!

Cathy

No comments: