Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gingerbread!

I love gingerbread. I think it is a classic dessert and always reminds me of my grandmother, Mama Lody, and her sister, Aunt Daisy. They made good gingerbread. I made some the other day for my jewelry party. Since I had low attendance, there was plenty left and I've snacked on it until it's about gone. Here's the recipe I used. It's not Mama Lody's or Aunt Daisy's recipe, but it's good.

Gingerbread
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
]1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. molasses
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. cloves (I actually upped it to 1/4 t. cloves-I like it spicy)
6 T. warm water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar together in a medium sized bowl. Next, add egg and molasses, beat well. Combine flour,baking powder, baking soda and spiced together in a small bowl. Alternating with water, gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 baking pan. Bake 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve.

You can serve it with whipped cream, ice cream, a dusting of powdered sugar or just a steaming cup of tea or coffee! It's so good on a cold day, and makes the house smell heavenly!


Tomorrow, I'll get to some details about the Lodge breakfast, as well as a cinnamon roll bread pudding recipe that is SO GOOD you won't believe how easy it is!!

Til then!
Cathy

No comments: